POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:32:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 10 Mar 2000 00:08:27
Message: <38c8834b@news.povray.org>
In article <chrishuff_99-20910D.19132109032000@news.povray.org> , Chris Huff
<chr### [at] yahoocom>  wrote:

> That would be a nice option for the Mac version too, which I believe
> uses the WASTE text engine. This capability might be built in to the
> WASTE engine already...

No, unfortunately not. The WASTE text engine is actually targeted as a
replacement for small scale word processing (World Script Aware _Styled_
Text Engine), and was originally not even designed as plain editor.
In the official version I had to add numerous hooks support all the nice
editor-like features like auto-indenting and syntax coloring. MacMegaPOV
also uses WASTE, and currently has functions around WASTE to get indenting.

Either way, WASTE was not designed as an editor. It does a good job, but
adding such features as auto-completion is either done by a lot of working
around it or by some inside modifications and hooks.  It is possible with
reasonable work, but not a free feature :-(

    Thorsten